Keeping your toilet clean can be an unpleasant chore. However, automatic toilet bowl cleaners provide a convenient way to tackle limescale, bacteria, stains, and odors with minimal effort. In this article, we’ll explore the top products that can scrub and freshen your toilet bowl automatically after every flush.
Table of Contents
Top 5 Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaners
|Lysol Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner
|Pre-filled cleaner cartridge
|4 months or 1,100 flushes
|Clorox Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner
|Angled nozzle pre-filled cartridge
|3 months or 750 flushes
|Scrubbing Bubbles Fresh Brush
|Battery-powered cleaning wand & sponge
|Up to 2 months
|Kaboom Scrub Free
|Built-in cleaning wand
|Up to 3 months
|Combined flush & cleaning system
|3 months or 1,000 flushes
What is an Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner?
An automatic toilet bowl cleaner is a product that helps clean and deodorize the toilet bowl after every flush. It consists of a device mounted inside the toilet tank that releases a cleaning solution each time the toilet is flushed. The solution spreads around the bowl, breaking down deposits, killing germs, and preventing stains.
Automatic bowl cleaners provide a hands-off way to maintain a clean toilet. Rather than scrubbing frequently, you simply flush as normal and the product does the work for you. Most cleaners last for weeks or months before needing a replacement cartridge or tablet.
Best Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaners reviews
With many options on the market, it can be tricky to choose the best automatic toilet bowl cleaner for your needs and budget. Here are 5 top choices to consider:
1. Lysol Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Overview: The Lysol automatic toilet cleaner is a popular option trusted for its strong cleaning power. It attaches inside the tank and releases a hygienic cleansing solution with every flush.
- Dual-nozzle design: Aiming nozzles ensure complete inner bowl coverage.
- Powerful clean: Removes limescale, rust, and grime.
- Cleans for up to 4 months: Each pre-filled cartridge lasts for up to 1,100 flushes.
- Fresh scent: Leaves a subtle floral fragrance.
Pros & Cons:
- Pros: Strong cleaning action, long-lasting formula, eliminates odors.
- Cons: Very strong chlorine smell may be unpleasant for some users. Needs thorough bowl rinse after installation.
The potent Lysol cleaner disinfects and deodorizes thoroughly after each flush. The concentrated formula outperforms many milder products. It’s a top choice if you need serious cleansing power.
2. Clorox Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Overview: Trusted brand Clorox offers an automatic toilet cleaner that effectively targets unsightly stains and mineral buildup. It comes ready to install and use.
- Pre-filled sealed cartridge for easy setup
- Bleach-based formula with natural enzymes
- Deodorizing action combats odors
- Lasts for 3 months or 750 flushes
- Angled spray nozzle for bowl coverage
Pros & Cons:
- Pros: Affordable price, fits most toilets, removes stains well, cleans entire flush cycle.
- Cons: Bleach formula may be harsh for some users, can leave residue in bowl.
Clorox is one of the most affordable automatic bowl cleaners. While not as strong as some brands, it can tackle everyday toilet stains reasonably well. The angled spray nozzle allows for improved bowl coverage.
3. Scrubbing Bubbles Fresh Brush
Overview: Scrubbing Bubbles automatic cleaner provides a hands-off way to maintain a clean bowl between deeper scrubbing sessions. The fresh scent leaves your bathroom smelling clean.
- Dual-nozzle cleaner with extendable sponge brush
- Attaches inside the tank
- Pre-filled cleaner cartridges
- Helps prevent stains and odors
- Battery-powered sponge auto-cleans with each flush
Pros & Cons:
- Pros: Automatically scrubs bowl with each flush, sponge helps clean under rim, pleasant scent.
- Cons: Sponge may not fit all toilet types, battery replacement required.
This innovative Scrubbing Bubbles cleaner has a sponge brush that automatically cleans above and below the water line with each flush. It’s great for tackling stains and hard
4. Kaboom Scrub Free! Automatic Toilet Cleaning System
Overview: Kaboom’s self-cleaning toilet system continuously cleans and deodorizes the bowl without harsh chemicals. The cleaning wand stays protected inside the tank.
- Cleaning wand dispenses foam with every flush
- Continuous clean for up to 3 months
- Uses oxygen-powered formula, not bleach
- Helps remove limescale and rust stains
- Pre-filled disposable cleaner cartridge
Pros & Cons:
- Pros: Uses foam to clean thoroughly without scrubbing, no chlorine or bleach, simple installation.
- Cons: May not remove toughest stains, more expensive than tablet cleaners.
This innovative wand cleaner from Kaboom provides effective cleaning without bleach. The oxygen-activated foam clings to the porcelain and scrubs away dirt and buildup. It’s a great option if you want an automatic cleaner with a gentler formula.
5. Flushmate Fresh Toilet Bowl Cleaning System
Overview: Flushmate offers a unique automatic cleaning system that not only cleans but also eliminates the need for a flush valve in your toilet tank.
- Powerful pressurized flush system
- Built-in cleaner dispenser
- Removes heavy limescale and hard water stains
- Installs in place of flush valve
- Lasts for 3 months or 1,000 flushes
Pros & Cons:
- Pros: Pressurized system provides strong cleaning action, easy do-it-yourself installation.
- Cons: Expensive, flapper valve sold separately, may not fit all toilet types.
This combined flush system and cleaner from Flushmate installs in minutes to deliver both tank valve flushing power and automatic cleaning action after each flush. The system provides superior stain-fighting capabilities.
6. 2000 Flushes Blue Plus Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Overview: This popular cleaner from 2000 Flushes provides long-lasting cleaning action. The concentrated formula provides up to 4 months of stain fighting per tablet.
- Powerful concentrated tablet
- Bleach-free formula with rust remover
- Prevents stains, limescale buildup, and rings
- Fresh clean scent
- Tablet lasts for up to 4 months
Pros & Cons:
- Pros: Very affordable, 1 tablet lasts for months, fights rust stains, compatible with septic tanks.
- Cons: May not fit all toilet tank models, can leave residue.
With just one powerful cleaner tablet, the 2000 Flushes Blue Plus cleaner provides stain-fighting action for up to 4 months at a very budget-friendly price point. If you want an inexpensive yet effective automatic cleaning system, it’s a great value choice.
7. Taza Automatic Toilet Cleaning System
Overview: This innovative cleaner has a sleek design and reusable cleaning wand for hands-free cleaning with every flush.
- Reusable cleaner wand with mineral formula
- Battery operated wand activates with motion sensor
- Quiet operation
- Easy tool-free installation
- Lasts up to 3 months per filling
Pros & Cons:
- Pros: Reusable cleaner wand, contemporary design, cleans entire flush process.
- Cons: Expensive, requires periodic mineral refills, battery replacement.
With its modern design and reusability, the Taza self-cleaning system looks great and provides effective cleaning. It’s on the pricier side, but a good choice if you want a sleek, integrated automatic cleaning system.
8. Bowl Buddy Toilet Tank Tablet Cleaner
Overview: This inexpensive tablet cleaner simply sticks to the inside of the toilet tank to freshen with each flush.
- Budget-friendly toilet tank tablets
- Instant stick tabs with built in hook
- Bleach-free formula
- Prevents stains and limescale
- Lasts for up to 2 months
Pros & Cons:
- Pros: Extremely affordable, long-lasting formula, easy instant install.
- Cons: Mild staining fighting power, residue may develop over time.
If you want an ultra-low cost automatic cleaner, Bowl Buddy toilet tank tablets provide decent cleaning power in an easy stick-on form. While not as strong as some cleaners, their price makes them a great budget option.
9. Scrubzit Automatic Toilet Cleaning System
Overview: This battery-powered cleaner has a spinning cleaning head to scrub the bowl, tank, and rim with every flush.
- Battery-operated automatic cleaning head
- Spins to scrub bowl and under rim
- Dispenses cleaning formula with motion
- Lasts up to 4 months
- Low battery indicator light
Pros & Cons:
- Pros: Powerful cleaning scrub action, helps clean hard to reach areas, long 4 month life.
- Cons: Expensive, requires battery replacement, may not fit all toilets.
The Scrubzit system provides the convenience of an automatic cleaner with the scrubbing power of manual cleaning. It’s great for tackling stubborn buildup and stains. Just be prepared to pay more for the battery-powered spinning scrub head.
How Does it Work?
Automatic toilet bowl cleaners work through a simple, effective system:
- Cleaner discharge: The cleaning unit sits in the toilet tank and contains the active cleaning product. This is usually a concentrated gel or tablet. Each time you flush, a small amount of water in the tank directs the cleaning product into the bowl.
- Cleaning action: As the water swirls during the flush, the cleaning agent coats the sides of the bowl. The chemicals break down mineral deposits and kill bacteria. Bleach or detergents help break down stains.
- Fresh rinse: The normal flush water then rinses the bowl, washing away any grime or residue loosened by the cleaner. The bowl is left clean and fresh after just a single flush.
Most cleaners utilize bleach or detergents to dissolve organic stains and mineral buildup in the toilet bowl, tank, and traps. The active ingredients cling to the porcelain and continue working between flushes.
Pros and Cons of Automatic Bowl Cleaners
- Convenient, hands-off cleaning
- Cleans the bowl after every flush
- Prevents mineral deposits and soap scum buildup
- Kills germs and bacteria
- Fights odors between cleanings
- Saves time compared to manual scrubbing
- Plastic parts may eventually wear out
- Cleaning tablets can leave residue
- May not remove severe limescale or rust stains
- Tank attachment is visible inside tank
- More expensive than manual cleaners
- Chemical fumes may be unpleasant for some
While automatic bowl cleaners make cleaning the toilet easier, they may not fully replace periodic manual scrubbing. However, they provide effective maintenance between deep cleanings. The right product can save you time and effort while keeping your toilet fresh.
Factors to Consider When Choosing an Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner
With many options on the market, keep the following factors in mind when selecting the best automatic toilet bowl cleaner for your bathroom:
Type of Bowl Stains
Consider the type of stains and mineral deposits typically found in your toilet bowl. If you mainly have light soap scum and water spots, a mild bleach or detergent-based cleaner should suffice. For heavy limescale, rust, and hard water stains, choose a stronger cleaner with an acid-based formula.
Look for cleaners that specifically say they tackle rust, limescale, algae, and hard water buildup. Check reviews to confirm how effective a product is against tough stains.
Frequency of Cleaning Needed
Think about how often you want the automatic cleaner to dispense solution. Some release cleaning product with every flush, while others discharge every second or third flush to conserve the cleaner supply.
Frequent flushing households may want a cleaner that activates with each flush for the best results. For light usage bathrooms, a cleaner releasing solution every few flushes can still effectively prevent stains.
Toilet Bowl Material
Make sure to select a cleaner that’s safe for your particular toilet bowl material. Most products work with vitreous china, but some extra-strength formulas may damage materials like porcelain enamel or stainless steel. Avoid rust removers and acid-based cleaners if you have a metal toilet bowl.
Automatic bowl cleaners range in price from less than $10 to over $100. Tablet cleaners tend to be the most budget-friendly options. Disposable cleaner cartridges and systems with electrical components typically cost more.
Evaluate the supply volume and lifespan when comparing prices. A more expensive cleaner that lasts for months may be cheaper overall than needing to replace inexpensive tablets every few weeks.
Look for cleaners with safe, non-toxic formulas if you have pets, small children or septic systems. Avoid products with harsh chlorine bleach or corrosive ingredients. Search for cleaners made from plant-based enzymes or oxygenated compounds for a gentler effect.
Make sure any electrical components are properly insulated and safe to have in contact with water. Check that cleaner dispensers turn off when not in use to prevent leaks or waste.
Q: How often do I need to replace the cleaner cartridge or tablet?
A: Most automatic toilet bowl cleaners last 2-4 months or 500-1000 flushes before needing replacement. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for when to change your cleaner supply.
Q: Are automatic cleaners safe for septic systems?
A: Many cleaners are formulated to be septic safe, but check the product description to confirm before using with a septic tank. Avoid strong bleach or acid-based cleaners.
Q: Do automatic cleaners require batteries or electricity?
A: Some cleaners like wand systems or motorized brushes use batteries or an electric outlet. Most cleaners are self-contained units that don’t require separate power.
Q: Can I use an automatic cleaner with well water?
A: Yes, automatic cleaners can be effective for toilets using well water. However, you may need to scrub occasionally to remove any stubborn hard water stains.
Q: Will an automatic cleaner damage my toilet?
A: When used as directed, automatic cleaners are safe for standard vitreous china and porcelain toilets. Avoid very acidic or abrasive formulas that could etch or dull the surface over time.
Conclusion & Recommendation
For effortless cleaning after every flush, automatic toilet bowl cleaners are a convenient option. They help prevent stains, odors, and mineral buildup between manual deep cleanings.
Ultimately, the Lysol Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner stands out as the top choice. While the thick chorine formula has a strong smell, the Lysol cleaner’s power to eliminate tough limescale and grime after each flush makes it our recommended pick.
For a more affordable option, the Clorox Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner also cleans and deodorizes effectively. The angled nozzle allows it to coat more of the bowl surface after flushing.
Whichever product you choose, an automatic toilet cleaner can help simplify toilet maintenance. With minimal effort, you can enjoy a clean, fresh-smelling bowl after each flush.