When it comes to residential toilets, two of the biggest names in the industry are American Standard and Kohler. Both companies offer high-quality, stylish, and efficient toilet models that are designed to suit any bathroom. Two of their most popular and comparable toilet lines are the American Standard Titan and Kohler Champion 4.
Table of Contents
Quick comparison table between the American Standard Titan and Kohler Champion 4 toilets:
|American Standard Titan
|Kohler Champion 4
|Elongated or Round Front
|Elongated or Round Front
|White, Linen, Bone
|White, Almond, Black, Biscuit
|3″ Flush Valve, 2-1/8″ Trapway
|4″ Flush Valve, 2-3/8″ Trapway
|Elongated with Soft-Close Lid
|Elongated Plastic Seat (Soft-Close Optional Upgrade)
|12″ Rough-In, Floor or Wall Mount
|12″ Rough-In, Floor or Wall Mount
|10 Years Limited
|1 Year Limited
|28.75″ x 17.75″ x 30.75″ (elongated)
|28.25″ x 17.75″ x 30.5″ (elongated)
|Check Latest Price
|Check Latest Price
Overview and Background
Brief History of American Standard
American Standard has been in the plumbing fixture business for over 140 years. Founded in 1875 and headquartered in New Jersey, they are one of the oldest and most trusted brands in the bathroom fixtures industry. They offer a wide range of high-quality and innovative bathroom products including toilets, faucets, showers, bathtubs, and more.
Brief History of Kohler
Kohler Co. was founded in 1873 by John Michael Kohler in Wisconsin. Kohler is a leader in kitchen and bath products including sinks, faucets, toilets, bathtubs, cabinets, and more. The company is known for sustainably-designed products that blend creativity and craftsmanship. Kohler aims to enhance the level of gracious living for each person who is touched by their products and services.
Overview of the Titan and Champion 4 Toilet Models
The American Standard Titan and Kohler Champion 4 represent two of the flagship toilet models from each respective brand. Both models are available in a round and elongated bowl shape. They are designed to be powerful, efficient, high-quality toilets equipped with modern features and conveniences. The Titan and Champion 4 aim to offer an optimal flushing performance and user experience. We’ll take a deeper dive into how they compare across various factors.
Design and Appearance
The overall design, styling, and appearance of a toilet play a big role in what consumers choose for their bathroom. Below we’ll compare the dimensions, bowl styles, and color options of the Titan and Champion 4.
Dimensions and Design Style
- Titan: 28.75″ x 17.75″ x 30.75″ (elongated), 27.75” x 17.125” x 30.75” (round)
- Champion 4: 28.25″ x 17.75″ x 30.5″ (elongated), 27.75” x 17.5” x 30.5” (round)
- The Titan is slightly larger, while both have a classic, simple, streamlined look
Bowl Shape and Style
- Available in round front or elongated bowl shape
- Elongated shape is oval and extends further forward
- Round is more compact circular shape
- Both have modern bowl silhouette and design
Colors and Finishes
- Titan: White, Linen, and Bone colored finishes
- Champion 4: White, Almond, Black, and Biscuit finishes
- Matte finishes that resist staining and buildup
- Neutral colors fit any bathroom style
So when it comes to design, the Titan and Champion 4 share many similarities in a streamlined look and available bowl shapes. The Titan comes in fewer neutral colors while the Champion 4 has more finish options including darker tones like black. Both feature a contemporary style and silhouette.
Flushing Performance and Efficiency
One of the most important factors when selecting a toilet is its flushing performance and water efficiency. Here is how the flushing mechanisms and technologies of the Titan and Champion 4 compare:
- Titan: 3″ flush valve, 2-1/8″ trapway
- Champion 4: 4″ flush valve, 2-3/8″ trapway
- Larger valves and trapways improve waste removal
Water Usage and Efficiency
- Titan: 1.6 GPF across all models
- Champion 4: 1.28 GPF across all models
- Both are WaterSense certified high efficiency toilets
- Champion 4 offers 20% more water savings
Flushing Power and Effectiveness
- Titan: rated 1000 MaP (grams of waste removed)
- Champion 4: rated 1000 MaP
- Excellent MaP scores show superior bulk waste removal
- Provides effective single flush performance
Overall, both toilets exceed at providing a robust, effective flush using an efficient amount of water. However, the Champion 4 has a slight edge with its larger flush components and 20% increased water savings. But both are WaterSense labeled and remove waste extremely well in one flush.
Comfort and Convenience Features
In addition to performance, modern toilets also offer various features and innovations that improve the user experience. Here are some of the comfort and convenience factors of the Titan and Champion 4.
Comfort Height and ADA Compliance
- Titan: 16-1/2″ seat height, ADA compliant
- Champion 4: 16-1/2″ seat height, ADA compliant
- Chair height seats between 17-19″ are easier to sit and stand
- Meets ADA guidelines for accessibility
Toilet Seat Design and Material
- Titan: Comes with elongated seat with stainless steel hinges and Quiet-Close
- Champion 4: Elongated seat with Quiet-Close is extra
- Soft-close lids prevent slamming and pinched fingers
Other Convenience Factors
- Titan: 10-year limited warranty, Overflow tube, 3″ flush valve
- Champion 4: 1-year limited warranty, Less exposed trapway, Left-hand trip lever
The Titan and Champion 4 are both comfort height, ADA compliant toilets for easy usage. The Titan includes a more robust toilet seat and longer warranty. But overall they offer similar conveniences like one-piece design.
Installing a toilet is an important process that impacts the functionality and longevity of the fixture. Here are some of the key installation considerations for the Titan and Champion 4 models:
- Standard 12” rough-in size
- Works with existing toilet supply lines
- May need deeper rough-in for larger models
Ease of Installation
- One-piece design is easier to install vs two-piece
- Pre-installed tank to bowl gaskets on both models
- Clear instructions provided
- Can be handled by one person
Versatility and Flexibility
- Compact regular height models work in tight spaces
- Floor-mount and wall-hung installations available
- ADA height meets accessibility needs
- Work well in residential and commercial settings
Overall the Titan and Champion 4 have similar installation requirements and offer flexible options. The one-piece elongated models may require more space than a compact round bowl design though.
Warranty and Customer Support
The warranty coverage and customer service reputation of the brand are also important to consider with any toilet purchase. Here is how American Standard and Kohler compare:
Warranty Coverage and Terms
- Titan: 10-year limited warranty on chinaware, 5-year on mechanical parts
- Champion 4: 1-year limited warranty
- Titan offers significantly longer warranty period
Customer Service Reputation
- Both companies have been around for 140+ years
- Generally positive reviews and responsive support teams
- Limited supplies may mean waiting for replacements
- Easier process dealing with major manufacturers
When it comes to warranties, the Titan is the clear winner with 10 years of coverage. Both brands otherwise provide decent customer service for their toilet lines.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much water does the Titan use per flush?
The Titan has a flush volume of 1.6 gallons per flush across all models. This meets the EPA WaterSense standards for high-efficiency toilets.
Does the Champion 4 come in a round bowl version?
Yes, Kohler offers both a round front and elongated bowl version of the Champion 4 toilet model. The dimensions are slightly smaller on the round bowl option.
Do these toilets come in different heights?
Both the Titan and Champion 4 come in a standard and comfort height option. The standard height measures about 15″ from floor to seat while the comfort height is around 16.5″ high.
What colors can you get the American Standard Titan toilet in?
The Titan is available in three neutral colored finishes: White, Linen, and Bone. There are not any darker color options like black or almond currently offered.
Does the Titan toilet seat include a soft close lid?
Yes, the Titan elongated toilet comes standard with a seat that has stainless steel hinges and soft-close technology to prevent slamming. This is an upgrade from the basic plastic toilet seat included with the Champion 4.
Conclusion and Recommendation
So which is better between the American Standard Titan and Kohler Champion 4 toilets? Here is a quick summary:
- Design: Very similar modern styles and available bowl shapes
- Flushing: Both excel at bulk waste removal; Champion 4 offers 20% more water savings
- Features: Titan includes higher-end toilet seat and 10-year warranty
- Installation: Fairly comparable between both one-piece models
- Support: Titan has longer coverage; both offer decent customer service
Overall, the Titan just edges out the Champion 4 in this matchup. The 10-year warranty provides peace of mind on parts and defects over the long run. And the included soft-close elongated toilet seat with stainless steel hinges is a nicer touch compared to the basic seat on the Champion 4. When it comes to flushing performance, water savings, and comfort height, both models are actually quite similar.
For the small difference in price, the Titan offers just a bit more value unless you want the black, almond or biscuit color options of the Champion 4. Either toilet will provide exceptional function, efficiency, and reliability though. Choosing between these two excellent models ultimately comes down to personal preferences.